Thursday, January 16, 2014

60 Second Commercial

The Situation

You’re at a career fair, in an interview or at a networking event. You shake hands with the recruiter – then what? The 60 second commercial (or “elevator speech”) is an introduction you can use in a number of different scenarios that quickly explains who you are, what your interests and goals are and what you know about the company.

If you have thought this through ahead of time, you will be able to make the most of your brief conversation and hopefully it will lead to an interview!

The Goals
To quickly articulate what you want, leave a positive impression, and create interest in you as a candidate.

How to Create Your Commercial
Ask yourself:

1.        Who are you?

Name__________________________________________________________________________

Year level_______________________________________________________________________

Major/Minor____________________________________________________________________


2.        What are you looking for?
_______________________________________________________________________________

3.        What have you done? What are your accomplishments?
_______________________________________________________________________________

4.        What interests you about this company?
______________________________________________________________________________

5.        Closing/next step
_______________________________________________________________________________


6.        Put it all together!


Examples

Hi my name is _________________. I will be graduating/just graduated from ______ with a degree in __________________. I am looking for ___________. I found in my research that your company is strong in_____________________. I’m very interested in finding out more about the opportunities you have. May I have your business card so I can follow up with you?

Hi my name is ______________. I am a ____________major. I’m looking for a co-op in corporate finance. In my last co-op at XYZ Company I was able to gain valuable experience in _________________. I know that your company specializes in _________. I would be very interested in hearing about any opportunities you may have in this field. 

“Good morning/afternoon, I’m______.  I have reviewed the job posting listed on the RIT website and am interested in ___________.  I have applied for this position(s) through your website and would like the opportunity to discuss my qualifications in greater detail.  I will be graduating in May with a degree in ________, and through my co-ops, have gained the experience you are looking for.

“Good morning/afternoon, I’m______. I am a ______year student majoring in ______.   I have reviewed your co-op job posting/s listed on RIT website and I am interested in ___________.  I have already applied for this/these position(s) through your website and would like the opportunity to discuss my qualifications in greater detail. Through numerous class projects, I have experience in__________.


Do’s & Don’ts

§  Do research the company
§  Do make your commercial sound natural and unrehearsed
§  Do make it memorable
§  Do practice it
§  Do project friendliness, confidence, enthusiasm
§  Do end with action items – i.e. collect a business card or contact information
§  Do follow up with the recruiter
§  Don’t make the conversation focused on what you want, rather what you can do
§  Don’t ask: “So what does your company do??” -- This will turn off the recruiter immediately
§  Don’t ramble or take up too much of the recruiters time
§  Don’t be disappointed if you are asked to apply for an opening through the company website. You have not wasted your time. Many companies need to track candidates through their site.


Rochester Institute of Technology Office of Co-op and Career Services
Office of Cooperative Education and Career Services
57 Lomb Memorial Drive · Rochester, NY 14623 · (585) 475-2301

www.rit.edu/co-op/careers 

1 comment:

  1. This is a great template for a small pitch in any career fair or on phone interviews.

    ReplyDelete